Who We Are
The Galveston Bay Estuary Program is one of two estuary programs in Texas. We are also one of the 28 National Estuary Programs in the U.S. As a non-regulatory program administered by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, we are charged with implementing The Galveston Bay Plan (The Plan). The program was established in 1989.
To preserve Galveston Bay for generations to come.
To provide comprehensive ecosystem management through collaborative partnerships and to ensure preservation of the bay’s multiple uses.
- Provide coordination and communication among state and federal resource agencies;
- Coordinate, monitor, and track implementation activities of The Plan’s partners;
- Identify and communicate bay improvements to agencies, stakeholders, and the public;
- Conduct public outreach and education to increase awareness of Galveston Bay;
- Maintain stakeholder involvement in the decision-making process through the Galveston Bay Council, a 41-member advisory committee for The Plan’s implementation; and
- Manage funds to implement specific actions in The Plan.